Both hives are still expanding fast; the native hive is up to five frames, with a full frame of drone brood. The hybrids are on 2 1/2 frames. All the tomatoes are potted up, and the squashes are starting to germinate. I'm still waiting for Lord Anson's Pea, a blue perennial Admiral Anson discovered in Patagonia in the 18th Century, to show, but Lathyrus belinensis, a rare Turkish species discovered 20 years ago, is up. It's like a small sweet pea; I only have a little, but hopefully it'll set seed.
Meanwhile, I'm well ahead on the digging, for the first time ever, and that means I've got time for necessary weeding. That should make an enormous difference; in so many years, things have got on top of me, and I've never really caught up. If I've finally got to the point where I can stay on top, then I'm winning. There are still some weedy bits, but a lot of it is just a matter of digging out individual weeds before I plant it. That's not too much of a job.
D T Brown, who have been sitting on my potato order since mid-March, have promised to get it to me next week, which is still in time to plant. I've put spuds in this late before, and had a decent crop.
How to Pickle Walnuts - part 2
1 day ago