And the clouts are well and truly cast.
This last one is (I think) Midland Thorn; it has smaller leaves, and as you see, pink flowers.
Goodlife sent me a couple of small cuttings of Daubenton's Kale. It's perennial, and, as you see, propagated by cuttings. It rarely sets seed, though it does happen. There are a few perennial brassicas; the only well-known one is Nine-Star Perennial Broccoli, which I'm also growing. I also have 'Spis Bladene' (which isn't its proper name; we don't know what it is) from the HSL. They say it 'appears to be a perennial kale', suggesting they don't really know themselves. It obviously sets seed, but I believe some of them flower, and then sprout from the base instead of dying. It'll be interesting to see!
On Thursday morning, I passed by the plot, to see dozens of bees flying around two empty hives. There had been a few around for just over a week, and this usually turns out to be the precursor of a swarm, as they stake their new home out in advance, and defend it against other bees. Sure enough, when I returned after lunch, they'd made their choice, and there was a swarm in residence, having frightened a couple of neighbours on the way in. Swarming bees don't sting, but they can certainly look impressive! Unfortunately they have a habit of buzzing round my head. This is a known undesirable habit ('following'), so I'm going to be requeening them. It's hereditary, and I don't want all my bees doing it.
Edmund Halley and the coins of Vaballathus
12 hours ago
Nice pictures. It will be interesting to see how the perennial kale does.
ReplyDeleteLovely pictures. I have a feeling that the pink May is laevigata. Midland, which we get round here but only rarely, is digyna (common being monogyna.) You can tell Midland because there are 2 pips in the haw. I always feel it's a pity that the really dark pink flowers have no scent.
ReplyDeleteYour bee posts are always interesting.
I have seen so many honey bees already this year! It has been a really great Spring for blossom. I remember taking a swarm a few years ago when we used to keep bees. We sent off for a new Queen in the post from the monks at Buckfastleigh!
ReplyDelete